This section includes information and education about trans issues. This section includes tools for faculty, staff, students, and community members to better understand trans issues, how to be an ally and advocate for trans people, and ways to intervene as a bystander when you hear or see transphobic behavior.
Note: The Trans Inclusivity Coalition at the University of Iowa acknowledges that some of these resources and the language used within may be outdated. We are working to provide the most updated resources and materials on a periodic basis. To make suggestions of other resources and/or updates needed to the existing content of this website, please send an email to email@example.com with your recommendations.
Training for Faculty, Staff, and Students
Research and Guiding Documents
- University of Iowa Libraries LGBTQ Subject Guide
- Comprehensive Model Policy on Transgender Students for Four-Year Colleges and Universities
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People
- Guidelines for the Primary and Gender-Affirming Care of Transgender and Gender Nonbinary People
- The Report of the 2015 U.S. Transgender Survey: Executive Summary
- Keer, K.G. (2018). Trans* Policies & Experiences in Housing & Residence Life. Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Nicolazzo, Z. (2016). Trans* in college: Transgender students' strategies for navigating campus life and the institutional polices of inclusion. Stylus Publishing, LLC.
- Serano, J. (2016). Whipping girl: A transexual woman on sexism and the scapegoating of femininity. Seal Press.
- Spade, D. (2015). Normal life: Administrative violence, critical trans politics, & the limits of law. Duke University Press.
- Bornstein, K., & Bergman, S.B. (2010). Gender outlaws: The next generation. Seal Press.
- Stryker, S. (2008). Transgender history. Seal Press.